What better place to celebrate the Christmas season than in our nation’s capital?
Downtown DC is bursting with holiday spirit throughout December. With so many of these Christmas sights and festivities within walking distance of Farmers & Distillers, we would love to be your home base for food and drink, and periodic respite, as you explore all of the holiday wonder that downtown DC has to offer.
A sampling of Christmas in the capital – all within a mile or so from Farmers & Distillers – to help get you planning your next few weeks and weekends:
National Treasures Brimming with Christmas Spirit
- Don’t miss the National Christmas Tree! Walk over to President’s Park on the White House Ellipse where you & yours will not only find the National Christmas Tree, but also trees decorated with handmade ornaments from 56 of our U.S. states and territories. With nightly musical performances, this free, awe-inspiring holiday wonder is open daily from 10am-10pm throughout the holiday season, with the tree lit from 4:30pm-10pm.
- Deck the halls while visiting the Library of Congress where a beautiful Christmas tree awaits in the Great Hall of the Thomas Jefferson Building. Throughout December, open Mon-Sat from 8:30am-4:30pm, visitors from around the globe flock to this landmark, which is decked out for the holidays.
- From the giant lit wreaths that greet you to the decorated shops and the holiday model train display to the Norwegian Christmas tree, Union Station is a holiday festival destination for travelers and DC residents alike.
- Visit the U.S. Botanic Garden to get your fill of holiday exhibits such as their holiday-inspired model train and showcase of poinsettias, as well as holiday concerts that fill the air with cheer. Open now through January 1st daily from 10am-5pm.
A Winter Wonderland & Great Shopping
- Want to find plenty to explore and get some holiday shopping done? Head on over to 10th & H St NW where you’ll find the CityCenterDC in full holiday form. Look up as you walk Palmer Alley to discover the magical Dream Closet Installation of 400 holiday ornaments suspended from above. On display through February 28th. And from December 7th-9th, don’t miss the Winter in Washingtonice exhibit, featuring some of DC’s most iconic monuments whittled from 50,000 pounds of ice. It is as amazing as it sounds. CityCenterDC also has great holiday shopping.
- Unique, downtown DC Christmas shopping at its best is, of course, the 14th Annual Downtown Holiday Market. Shop local from 150-featured regional artisans and craftsmen and their jewelry, pottery, paintings, and textiles. Find something special for everyone on your Christmas list at this DC holiday market located on F Street between 7th & 9th Streets, NW, in front of the Smithsonian American Art Museum & National Portrait Gallery. Open daily from noon-8pm through Sunday, December 23rd.
Downtown DC Holiday Fun: Dance, Music & Theater
- Not one but two holiday shows are heading to DC’s Capital One Arena this month. The HOT 99.5 Jingle Ball concert hosts Shawn Mendes, The Chainsmokers, G-Eazy, Meghan Trainor, and more. And a rock opera festival of sounds for the ages, Trans-Siberian Orchestra’s The Ghosts of Christmas Eve makes its way back to DC this year, much to the delight of many.
- Ghosts of Christmas past, present, and future abound at DC’s historic Ford’s Theatre annual presentation of A Christmas Carol. Now through December 30th, your & yours will be dazzled by this holiday production of Dickens’s Yuletide classic starring acclaimed actor Craig Wallace as Ebenezer Scrooge.
- For the perfect DC December night, don’t miss The Washington Ballet’s famous The Nutcracker, showing now through December 28th at the Warner Theater.
Visit us at Farmers & Distillers as you take in all of these spirited Christmas events and sights in downtown DC. We are centrally located on Massachusetts Ave. in downtown DC’s Mt Vernon Square neighborhood, just a hop, skip, and a holiday jump near some of the best Christmas fun DC has to offer. As always, a reservation is recommended.