Farmers Restaurant Group works with an ongoing commitment to being green each and every day. Our newest restaurant, Farmers & Distillers, is no exception and was designed from inception to meet LEED Gold Certification, which its sister restaurant, Founding Farmers DC, achieved in 2008. This means that our building and its operations are all resource efficient. We manage our water and energy usage, and reduce greenhouse gas emissions. In working with LEED specialists, we are pursuing GOLD status certification based upon the number of points across several areas, including:
- Maintaining our recycling and composting program, which keeps 90% of our waste out of landfills
- Using Energy Star qualified dishwashers, fryer, and monitors, which are over 30% more efficient than conventional models
- Installing low-flow faucet aerators and touchless sensors on restroom faucets which save water and energy usage
- Using bath tissue, hot cups, beverage napkins, paper bags, and paper towels made with material recovered from curbside recycling bins
- Keeping our facility Styrofoam free, which keeps harmful chemicals and litter out of our environment
The pursuit of LEED certification adds approximately $100,000 to the budget of each restaurant. There is no requirement that restaurants pursue this level of environmentally-thoughtful design and management, but for us it is just another aspect of the farmer mentality.
We are working with the Green Restaurant Association, and as we’ve done with our GRA certifications at Founding Farmers and Farmers Fishers Bakers, we are continuing on this path with Farmers & Distillers. We are committed to becoming a Certified Green Restaurant® by June 11, 2017, which is the GRA’s timeline based on their audit process for a new restaurant. We will update our website indicating when we have received the official certification.
We care about the environment. It is part of who we are. We also want to encourage others to care about the environment. At Farmers & Distillers, the dining experience highlights how the restaurants are built and furnished, which we hope will inspire others to adopt their own greener, and ultimately healthier, lifestyle.
Join us at Farmers & Distillers. For a meal. And working to make the world a little greener.